Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Everglades

Unveiling the Beauty:


I must share that when I first visited the Everglades, I was not “awe-inspired” by the brown “River of Grass” and the swampy, muddy waters filled with frightening alligators. For me, the Everglades have been an unveiling of beauty starting with educating myself with the history and the importance of it and by observing the exotic creatures that call it home. A book I read, “The Everglades: River of Grass” by Marjory Stoneman Douglas, enlightened me to some of the history of the Everglades and of South Florida. Written in 1947, this classic helped focus world attention on the importance of preserving the Everglades. It is an interesting story. Along with studying the history, I have become a bird watcher. I know, doesn’t it sound funny…me a bird watcher. Wow, in South Florida we have some of the coolest birds flying around and I wanted to learn what they were. So above are some of my pictures of our flying stars. They are so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment