Thursday, March 4, 2010

Molasses Reef, Key Largo

When I moved to Miami from Argentina 12 years ago, one of my first experiences was getting my diving certification. For a semi-adventurous person, this is a must do in the Keys. Key Largo is home to the best reef diving in the United States and ranks tops for some of the best reefs in the world. One of my favorites in Key Largo is Molasses reef, and it was my first dive. I was on Uncle Steve's boat and with my husband DT at 5:30 p.m.; the sun was sitting low but bright, the ocean was very calm, with good visibility for at least 100 feet, and the water was as warm as bath water. This was perfect conditions for a picturesque dive that gave me my first sight of a green moray eel and nurse shark. The rock stars of almost any reef you dive in the Keys. The multi-colored reef line that is protected by conservation law is home to an abundance of fish and is truly remarkable. A must dive for any level of diver.

No comments:

Post a Comment